Spinal Weaponry, informally 'Spinals', are manual weapons that are found on most combat ships. Spinals can be classified into 3 types: Phasers, Cannons, Torpedoes.
Spinal Weaponry is aimed manually by the pilot and requires the pilot to fire all shots at a time. Since they do not fire automatically like Turrets the pilot's ship needs to be pointed towards its target in order to land a hit. There is though a small amount of movement for your spinals depending on where your cursor is.
Spinals are activated with the keys F and G. The key F is the Primary Spinal while G is the Secondary Spinal.
Spinals deal high damage per shot and have longer ranges than Turrets, but they have low projectile velocity.
A moving target isn't always easy to hit with large Spinals, which is why pirates prefer small Spinals, as the rate of fire for small Spinal Weaponry is greater, therefore increasing the reliability against moving targets. However, projectiles in small Spinal Weaponry cannot reach further.
Most ships are equipped with Phasers and Cannons as Spinals, with varying to degrees of firepower. Some ships rely entirely on Spinal Weaponry for their firepower, while others are equipped with them as a secondary weapon.
Phasers deal high damage to shield but low damage to hull and move quickly. They appear as a flat, semi-transparent, red-orange beam and make a sharp "pew" sound when fired. Upon impact, phasers emit red plasma chunks similar to the visual effects seen when damage is dealt to a ship's hull. The sound is repeated for each phaser fired.
|Increase in Reload Time per barrel||0.07s||0.1s||0.18s||0.25s||0.36s|
|DPS (1 barrel)||42.85||45||38.88||56||58.33|
Cannons deal high damage to hull but low damage to shield and move slowly. They appear as white cubes with a grey, pebble-like pattern on all sides. They also give off a tan-white trail when fired, and make a unique noise when fired. Some ships have Cannons that make a minigun-like noise when fired, mostly notably the Sixfold.
|Increase in Reload Time per barrel||0.15s||0.18s||0.3s||0.41s||0.6s|
|DPS (1 barrel)||22||27.77||25.66||37.56||38.5|
Torpedoes are special weapons only found on a select few ships. Some of these ships have unique Torpedo designs. The only NPC ship with Torpedoes is the Kodiak.
Their long range, high damage per hit, and low projectile speed makes them powerful against static and slow targets. Torpedoes do not ignore damage resistance.
|Increase in Reload Time per extra barrel||0.4s||0.55s||0.65s||0.8s||1s|
|DPS (1 barrel)||31.25||45.45||76.92||93.75||100|
- If a Medium+ Torpedo hits a player's starbase, the whole faction will be notified with the message "A Torpedo has hit your base."
- You can see if your torpedo has reloaded by looking in the barrel from where it fires from.
- Since Torpedoes are ranged and have high damage, some people prefer it over Sieges.
- The Tengu used to bear 2 Small Torpedoes before they were replaced with 4 Medium Cannons.
- The three ships with a Huge Torpedo are the Kraken, Hyperion and Antares.
- The Kodiak used to contain 8 Medium Torpedoes, allowing it to have the highest amount of damage per volley. (4000) before it was replaced with 2 Huge Torpedoes.
- The Hasatan used to have 1 Huge Torpedo before it was downsized to 1 Large Torpedo.
- Medium Spinals are the only Spinal Type to have lower DPS than the previous size (except Medium Torpedoes).